Applications for permission slips open for Hunter Management Areas

If you’re one of the many hunters forming plans to head to a Wyoming Game and Fish Department Hunter Management Area (HMA) this fall, it's time to apply for permission slips.

7/9/2018 11:51:55 AM

Cheyenne - If you’re one of the many hunters forming plans to head to a Wyoming Game and Fish Department Hunter Management Area (HMA) this fall, it's time to apply for permission slips. Applications for HMAs open July 9. As many hunters know, a successful hunting season begins long before heading afield. Securing permission for access is one of the most important planning steps.

HMAs are typically private ranches where the Game and Fish has agreed to manage hunting access. These properties may include portions of various ranches as well as intermixed leased and state lands within the boundary.

“We are fortunate and appreciate the access provided by landowners throughout Wyoming,” said Jason Sherwood, Game and Fish access coordinator for the Laramie region.

All hunters who wish to hunt HMAs must obtain printed permission slips. Each HMA has different rules, so hunters need to take time and carefully review the individual HMA Ranch Rules for information on the species that can be hunted, hunt areas within the HMA, number of permission slips available, when and how permission slips are allocated, as well as any other conditions of access.

To apply:

  1. Learn about the HMAs. Information on all HMAs can be found on the statewide interactive map, viewable on the Game and Fish website, or hunters can choose to search the HMA website by species or area name.
  2. Gather HMA application information. You will need:
  3. A 2018 hunting license for the hunt area in which the HMA is located.
  4. Vehicle information including make, model, year, color, license plate and state.
  5. Apply for permission. Once you have collected your information, decided on an HMA and read the Ranch Rules, then you can apply. To apply, enter the required information exactly as it appears on your current license(s). The database will confirm your valid license(s) and allow you to apply for the corresponding HMAs. Typically hunters may only apply for one limited permission slip HMA per hunt area.

Permission slip applications can be submitted as a party, either the same party as the licenses were applied in, or in a newly created group of up to six hunters. All party members should log in before the application period closes to ensure their application is in and correct, When applying, only one person will need to start the application if the same license party group is used. Each individual will need to print their own permission slip before going into the field. If you are applying for a permission slip for a friend or relative, you must have a copy of their hunting license and their vehicle information.

To help with planning, Game and Fish has interactive features for planning and applying for HMAs. With easy-to-use maps paired with personalization options, hunters can find the right location for their hunt.

“This is a great time to start planning and thinking about the coming hunting season,” said Sherwood.  Start planning and apply at the Game and Fish Hunter Management website.

(Sara DiRienzo (307-777-4540))

- WGFD -

CWD found in a new elk hunt area near Sheridan

Game and Fish continues to notify hunters of new areas where CWD is found

Continue reading...

Lathrop and Sons boot company contributes to hunting and fishing access

Access Yes, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department program that provides public access areas to hunt and fish, is getting a big boost this January, thanks to a generous donation from Lathrop and Sons.

Continue reading...

Five conservationists selected for 2019 Wyoming Outdoor Hall of Fame

Five individuals who made significant contributions to the Wyoming outdoors will be inducted into the Wyoming Outdoor Hall of Fame this March.

Continue reading...

Game and Fish Commission to meet in Cheyenne

The public is invited to attend the meeting and open house


Continue reading...

Game and Fish prepares for CWD at elk feedgrounds

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department remains concerned about chronic wasting disease and how it may affect the future of Wyoming’s deer, elk and moose, and is moving forward with efforts to manage the disease.

Continue reading...

Big game license applications open Jan. 2

A new year is around the corner, and for hunters that means time to apply for your 2019 big game hunts. 

Continue reading...

Game and Fish credit card processing fee begins for 2019 season

The 2.5% fee reduces administrative costs with credit card transactions

Continue reading...

Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s 2018 year in review

Record-breaking fish, grizzly bears, strategic planning and the Wyoming Outdoor Expo were among the notable events in 2018 for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. 

Continue reading...

Email Newsletter

Email Newsletter Sign Up

Stay up to date on all Wyoming Game and Fish news either by email or text message. Click the link below to get started.

Sign Up Today


Conserving Wildlife - Serving People