Wyoming hunt Planner

Welcome to our Hunt Planner. In the sections that follow you will find interactive maps, species specific hunt information, drawing odds, harvest information, public access and much more.

Please begin by selecting a species from the drop down menu below.

Select Hunt Area

Moose are found in many of the mountain ranges and river bottom areas throughout Wyoming, but the greatest numbers are in the Bridger-Teton National Forest south of Jackson. Moose also are found in the Bighorn National Forest in northcentral Wyoming and the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest in southeast Wyoming.

select another species

About Moose Hunting in Wyoming

Applying for a License

Obtaining a moose license can be very difficult or relatively easy depending on the hunt area and the sex of the animal. Cow licenses in many areas can be drawn with only a few preference points, while the drawing odds for a bull or any moose tag are much steeper. Wyoming law allocates 90 percent of moose licenses to residents, with the remaining 10 percent issued to nonresidents. Of course with the random drawing there is always a mathematical chance of drawing a license for first time applicants.


Moose licenses are issued for a hunt area, season dates and sex limitations. The applicant may list only one (1) hunt area choice for moose.

The Waiting Game

A Type 1 moose license is a once-in-a-life time license.  A successful Type 4 moose applicant must wait five (5) years to next apply for or receive another Type 4 moose license.  A successful Type 1 moose applicant can submit a Type 4 moose application the following year.