HUNTING IN WYOMING

 

Moose Hunting

Moose are found in many of the mountain ranges and river bottom areas throughout Wyoming, but the greatest numbers are found in the Bridger- Teton National Forest region south of Jackson. Moose are also found in the Bighorn National Forest in north central Wyoming and the Medicine Bow Forest in southeast Wyoming.


Learn More about Moose Hunting in Wyoming


 

Applying for a License

Obtaining a moose license can be very difficult or relatively easy depending on the hunt area and the sex of the animal. Cow licenses in many areas can be drawn with only a few preference points, while the drawing odds for a bull or any moose tag are much steeper. Wyoming law allocates 80 percent of moose licenses to residents, with the remaining 20 percent issued to nonresidents. Of course with the random drawing there is always a mathematical chance of drawing a license for first time applicants.

Moose licenses are issued for a hunt area, season dates and sex limitations. The applicant may list only one (1) hunt area choice for moose.

 

The Waiting Game

Wyoming statute provides that any successful moose applicant must wait five (5) years to next apply for or receive another moose license. For example, a moose applicant successful in 2011 would not be eligible to apply for or receive another moose license until 2016, nor would the applicant be eligible to purchase a moose preference point during this same five (5) year period (until 2016).

More Information


READY TO BEGIN?

For more detailed information on our antelope hunt areas including draw odds, harvest data and tentative season information, please select an option below.

View Interactive Statewide Map

View interactive statewide hunt area map, tentative season information, land status and more.

Click Here to View

Select A Hunt Area

To view a specific hunt area's tentative information, select a hunt area from the drop down menu below.


 

 
Email Newsletter

Email Newsletter Sign Up

Stay up to date on all Wyoming Game and Fish news either by email or text message. Click the link below to get started.

Sign Up Today

SHOP WYOMING GAME & FISH GEAR   SHOP NOW

Conserving Wildlife - Serving People