"What is an Elk Special Management Permit, and do I need to purchase one to hunt elk?"

Elk hunters ask me this often--it depends on what elk hunt area you are hunting. Generally, it applies if you are hunting around Pinedale, Big Piney, Afton or Jackson and not in other parts of the state, but here are more details:  

An Elk Special Management Permit, also known as an “Elk Stamp” or “Feedground Stamp” is an additional permit required to hunt elk in Elk Hunt Areas 70, 71, 75, 77-98.  The Elk Special Management Permit costs $15.50 and helps fund Game and Fish’s Elk Feedground Program. The program provides supplemental feed for elk during the winter on 22 Game and Fish elk feedgrounds and the National Elk Refuge in northwest Wyoming.  The feedground program helps reduce elk damage and conflict on private lands while maintaining elk herds in a part of Wyoming known for its harsh winters.

An Elk Special Management Permit can be purchased at any Game and Fish Office, license agent, or online and is required to be in your possession while hunting elk in any of the hunt areas listed above. So remember, if you are planning on hunting elk in the Pinedale, Big Piney, Afton or Jackson areas, don’t forget to purchase your Elk Special Management Permit before you go afield.  Good luck with your elk hunt this fall!

Jordan Kraft
South Pinedale Game Warden

Have more questions? Check out our Ask Game and Fish Archives

*With any Ask Game and Fish question please consult the current hunting regulations for more specific information on these requirements.


Can't find your answer here? Search our archives of previous "Ask Game and Fish" questions.


Frequently asked questions about hunting, fishing, wildlife, application process and watercraft.

Email Newsletter

Email Newsletter Sign Up

Stay up to date on all Wyoming Game and Fish news either by email or text message. Click the link below to get started.

Sign Up Today


Conserving Wildlife - Serving People