Visit Our YouTube Page Follow Us on Facebook | Citizen | Business | Government | Visitor
Wyoming Game and Fish Header Image
Hunters Reminded to Pick Up Stamps


CHEYENNE - Hunters are well aware of the necessity of having hunting licenses before going afield, but along with those licenses, certain stamps are also required. The following is a listing of the various stamps and permits applicable to Wyoming hunting.

Conservation Stamp - Required of all licensed hunters or anglers with several exceptions. It is not required of holders of daily fishing or hunting licenses. It is also not required of persons exercising hunting or fishing privileges granted by valid Pioneer Licenses. Holders of any Pioneer License are not required to buy a conservation stamp and shall be in possession of their Pioneer License while in the field. Additional information on Pioneer Licenses is found in the hunting and fishing regulations.

Pheasant Management Permit - Required of most pheasant hunters including youth who do not need a bird license and holders of the Pioneer Bird/Small Game license who hunt areas wherever pheasants may be stocked from Game and Fish Department bird farms. These areas include Game and Fish wildlife habitat management areas, numerous walk-in areas, Glendo State Park, and all state lands in Sheridan and Johnson Counties. A complete listing of areas where the stamp is required is found on page 18 of the Upland Bird Regulations pamphlet. An exception is made for landowners and their immediate families who hunt pheasants on their lands enrolled in the walk-in program. An exception is also made for hunters who hunt walk-in areas in Bighorn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Park, and Washakie counties where pheasants are not released by the department.

Elk Feedground Special Management Permit - This permit is required of all hunters who hunt elk in areas 70, 71, 74, 75, and 77-98.

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp (Duck Stamp) - Required of all waterfowl hunters 16-years-of-age and older. Required for ducks, geese, and mergansers (not required for doves, sandhill cranes, coots, snipe, rails, or crows).

Harvest Information Program Permit (HIP permit) - Required of all licensed hunters who hunt migratory game birds. The HIP permit is also applicable for holders of Pioneer and Lifetime hunting licenses. HIP permits are nontransferable to other states. A separate validation is required in each state where migratory birds are hunted. Hip permits are available free on the Game and Fish website or for $0.50 at license agents and WGFD offices.

(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)



Wyoming Game & Fish Department Headquarters
5400 Bishop Blvd. Cheyenne, WY 82006
ph: (307) 777-4600
Email address for comments/questions regarding our website:

Copyright ©2013