Failure to properly tag a game animal.
After an animal is harvested, the hunter must sign the carcass coupon, detach it from the license and cut out the entire wedge for the day and month of the kill.  The carcass coupon must be attached to the animal in a clearly visible manner.  During transport, the properly completed carcass coupon may be removed to prevent loss, but must be in the possession of the person transporting the carcass.


Hunting, fishing or trapping without a license or during a closed season.
Hunters, anglers and trappers must have the proper license to take big game, trophy game, game birds, small game, furbearing animals or game fish.  License holders may only take game specified on their licenses during seasons specified in the regulations.


Hunting in the wrong area.
Hunters must know the boundaries of their hunt area.  BLM maps and GPS units with land status software are excellent tools.  If you have questions about hunt area boundaries, talk to your local game warden or biologist.  Don't be tempted to cross the boundary.


No fluorescent orange clothing.
Big game and trophy game rifle and muzzle loader hunters are required to wear one exterior garment of fluorescent orange (hunter orange, blaze orange).  This also applies to archery hunters hunting during the regular season.  This could be a hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest or sweater.  Bird hunters on Game and Fish Habitat Management areas are also required to wear hunter orange.  Fluorescent orange camouflage is legal.


Failure to purchase a conservation stamp.
Licensed hunters and anglers must purchase a conservation stamp to hunt and fish in Wyoming.  There are some exemptions to this requirement, so check the regulations to see if your license exempts you.


Shooting from a public road.
Shooting from a public road is dangerous and illegal.  Hunters cannot shoot or attempt to kill any wildlife from or across any public road or highway.  Hunters must be off the road and across the fence on a fenced public road or at least 30 feet from the edge of the road on an unfenced public road.


Trespassing to hunt, fish or trap.
Hunters must have permission from the landowner to cross or hunt on private land.  The Department recommends licensees obtain the signature of the landowner, lessee, or agent of the landowner as evidence that permission to hunt has been granted.


Failure to retain evidence of sex/take wrong sex of animal.
If an animal is harvested in an area where the take of either sex is controlled, hunters must keep the head or a visible external sex organ while transporting the animal from the field. Hunters may only take the sex of animal specified by regulation for their license.  Some hunt areas or licenses allow taking either sex.  Be sure you know the regulations for the area and license you have.


Transfer of license to another person.
Only the individual issued a license or stamp may use that license or stamp to harvest the animal specified on the license.


Failure to produce a hunter safety card.
No person born on or after January 1, 1966 may take any wildlife by the use of firearms on land other than that of his/her own family unless they possess and can exhibit a hunter safety card. All hunters in Grand Teton National Park are required to possess a hunter safety certificate regardless of age.  There are some exemptions to this requirement, check the regulations for further information.
Email Newsletter

Email Newsletter Sign Up

Stay up to date on all Wyoming Game and Fish news either by email or text message. Click the link below to get started.

Sign Up Today


Conserving Wildlife - Serving People