DISCLAIMER:  The following information is a condensed summary of what you will more than likely need with you in the field to be legal while hunting in Wyoming.  It is in no way a complete reference material, and is not intended to alter the intent or statutory content of applicable wildlife laws and Commission regulations.  Please read the entire regulation brochure for the species you will be hunting online, or from your local Game and Fish office or license selling agent.

Hunting License
Conservation Stamp (REQUIRED to hunt or fish in Wyoming)
Proof of Hunter Safety
Fluorescent Orange/Pink (hunter orange/pink)
Archery License/Important information
Access  Yes - Hunter Management Areas (HMA)
Permission to Hunt, Fish or Trap
Other Stamps and Permits
Do I Need an Outfitter?
Species Specific Hunting Information
Horses and Horse Inspections

Hunting License

All persons must be in possession of a valid hunting license for the species they are hunting at all times while in the field.  

Conservation Stamp (REQUIRED to hunt or fish in Wyoming)

Each person licensed to hunt or fish in Wyoming shall purchase one (1) conservation stamp valid for the calendar year. The stamp shall be signed in ink and shall be in possession of the person while HUNTING OR FISHING.
  • Persons holding the following licenses are exempt from the requirement to purchase a conservation stamp while exercising hunting or fishing privileges under THESE licenses:
    • Furbearer hunting or trapping licenses
    • Daily hunting or fishing license
    • Special limited fishing permit holders
    • Wyoming fifty (50%) percent disabled veteran fishing license
    • Licenses reissued to a veteran with disabilities.
  • Persons holding the following licenses are exempt from the requirement to purchase a conservation stamp while exercising hunting or fishing privileges under ANY Wyoming license. The person shall, at all times, be in possession of the license allowing the conservation stamp exemption while in the field:
    • Any Wyoming pioneer hunting or fishing license
    • Wyoming one hundred (100%) percent disabled veteran game bird, small game and fishing license   
    • Military combat general elk or general deer license
    • Military combat game bird or small game license.
  • A resident lifetime fishing license and conservation stamp may be issued to any resident who is permanently and totally disabled and is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity. For purposes of this subsection, substantial gainful activity shall be as determined by the U.S. Social Security Administration for the purpose of determining eligibility for Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance benefits.

Proof of Hunter Safety

Except as otherwise provided, no person born on or after January 1, 1966, may take wildlife by the use of firearms on land other than that of his own family, unless that person can demonstrate they have obtained  a certificate of competency and safety in the use and handling of firearms.  
  • Attendance and successful completion of a hunter safety course offered by an association or governmental agency approved by the Commission satisfies the requirements of this section.   
  • Any active member, honorably discharged past member or veteran of the armed forces of the United States and any active member or retired Wyoming peace officer qualified pursuant to W.S. § 9‐1‐701 through 9‐1‐707 are exempt from the hunter safety requirements.   
  • Hunter safety exemption applications are available at the Cheyenne Headquarters and Department Regional Offices.  This hunter safety exemption is not valid for those elk hunting within Grand Teton National Park (Hunt Areas 75 and 79), or for those participating in the Hunter Mentor Program.
A person who has not received a certificate of competency and safety in the use of handling firearms may apply to the Department for a special authorization to take wildlife with the use of a firearm while being accompanied by a person who is at least 18 years old, acting as a mentor, who possesses or can demonstrate he has successfully completed a hunter safety course and who possesses a valid Wyoming hunting license.   
  • A special authorization issued to an individual shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of issue and shall be in the possession of the recipient at all times while in the field.  The application process may be completed on the Department website.    A mentor shall not provide supervision for more than one (1) person, other than immediate family members, at a time in the field and shall accompany the mentee at all times to provide constant supervision.

Fluorescent Orange/Pink

Big and Trophy Game
No person, other than archers and crossbow hunters hunting during a special archery season or limited quota archery only Type 9 season, shall hunt any big or trophy game animal without wearing in a visible manner one (1) or more exterior garments that shall include a hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest or sweater of a fluorescent orange/pink color. Fluorescent orange/pink camouflage is legal.  Muzzle‐loader hunters participating in limited quota muzzle‐loading seasons are required to meet the fluorescent orange/pink requirements. 

Game Birds and Small Game
The wearing of fluorescent orange/pink clothing while hunting small game and game birds is recommended as a safety measure and is required when hunting pheasants on Department Wildlife Habitat Management Areas or on Bureau of Reclamation Withdrawal lands bordering and including Glendo State Park. 

Archery License/Important Information

In addition to a general or limited quota license, one must purchase an archery license before hunting during a special archery season. Only one archery license per year is required and it is valid for all big and trophy game special archery seasons. Archery licenses are available in Apply or Buy, or your local Game and Fish office and license selling agents. Archery equipment can be used during the regular season, but all hunters hunting during the regular season must wear hunter orange.  Some limited quota hunting seasons are restricted to archery hunting only. Archers possessing a Type 9 archery only license are not required to purchase an archery permit.  However, they can only hunt in the hunt area(s) and during the dates their license is valid and may not hunt during a later regular season if unsuccessful.

For additional information on archery hunting in Wyoming, please read our Archery FAQ's

Access Yes - Hunter Management Areas (HMA)

If you are hunting private land with access provided through the Access Yes Hunter Management Area program, you must apply for and receive a permission slip for the HMA online. You must print two copies of the permission slip: one to be displayed on the dash of your vehicle while in the HMA, and the other to be carried on your person while in the field. Some HMAs have unlimited permission slips, while others must be applied for through a draw. Please visit the Public Access section of the website for additional information, and to apply for a permission slip. Permission slips are NOT required while hunting private lands enrolled in the Walk-In Area program.

Permission to Hunt, Fish, Trap or Collect Antlers or Horns

No person shall enter upon the private property of any person to hunt, fish, trap or collect antlers or horns without the permission of the landowner or person in charge of the property. The license must bear the signature of the landowner, lessee or agent of the landowner on whose private property the person is accessing or other legitimate proof as evidence that permission to hunt, fish trap or collect antlers or horns has been granted. 

Other Stamps and Permits

Elk Special Management Permit
An elk special management permit is required to hunt elk in some hunt areas in northwest Wyoming. Areas where this permit is required can be found in the elk hunting regulations in section 6.

Pheasant Special Management Permit
A pheasant special management permit is required to hunt pheasants on some department wildlife habitat management areas, some lands enrolled in the PLPW program, and some state lands.  Revenue from this permit helps finance pheasant rearing and stocking at our two bird farms in the state.  Areas requiring this permit are listed in the Upland Game Bird regulations under section 4 of the pheasant hunting section.

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp (Duck Stamp)
Hunters 16 years of age and older are required to purchase a federal migratory bird hunting stamp prior to hunting waterfowl, (Ducks and Geese). It is not required to hunt sandhill cranes, mourning doves, coots, snipe, rails, or crows. These stamps will be available on the Department website and from license selling agents prior to the opening of waterfowl seasons. Duck Stamps are also available at the US Post Office.

Harvest Information Program (HIP) Permit
All licensed hunters (including pioneers) who hunt migratory game birds (waterfowl, sandhill cranes, mourning doves, coots, snipe, and rails) shall possess and exhibit a National Migratory Bird Harvest Information Program (HIP) permit. HIP permits acquired from another state are not transferable to Wyoming. A new HIP must be completed for each state hunted. Wyoming HIP permits are only available online, Click Here to get your HIP permit.

Light Goose Conservation Order Special Management Permit
A light goose special management permit is required to hunt during the spring hunting season for light geese in the Central Flyway of Wyoming. Season information for the light goose conservation order is available in the Migratory Game Bird regulation brochure, and Chapter 14 of Commission regulations.

Do you need an outfitter?

Nonresident big and trophy game hunters are required to obtain a professional outfitter or resident guide while hunting in any federally designated wilderness area.  All outfitters must be licensed by the Wyoming Board of Outfitters and Professional Guides.
  • A resident guide license may be obtained from the WGFD by any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game license.  A resident guide may only take up to two (2) nonresidents in a wilderness area per year, provided they do not accept any gratuity or compensation.

Species Specific Hunting Information

For more information on the particular species you wish to hunt, please refer to brochures that accompany regulations when you purchase a license. 

Big Game
Trophy Game
Upland/Small Game 
Migratory Game Birds (early and late)

Horses and Horse Inspections

The Wyoming Livestock Board is reminding hunters that horses, asses and mules are REQUIRED to be inspected. 

Click Here for more information from the Wyoming Livestock Board

Conserving Wildlife - Serving People