CHEYENNE - The application deadline for both residents and nonresidents to hunt moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat by is Feb. 28.
All applications, whether submitted online or mailed, must be received at the Wyoming Game and Fish Department headquarters in Cheyenne no later than 5 p.m. Feb. 28. Once the deadline passes*, the online application system will reject moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat applications.
Hunters may apply at wgfd.wyo.gov or through the mail. Because most hunters apply online, Game and Fish did not print application books this year. Game and Fish has discovered that applications filed online are more accurate and result in decreased costs for processing applications. Hunters who wish to apply by mail can download and print applications from wgfd.wyo.gov or request an application by calling 307-777-4600.
Drawing odds depend on species and hunt area. Preference points have been available for moose and bighorn sheep for 18 years; 75 percent of the quotas for those species are issued in the preference point drawing. The remaining 25 percent is issued in a random drawing without regard for preference points. Preference points are not available for mountain goat licenses, which are limited to one per lifetime. Moose applications have been changed this year to allow only a first-choice hunt area/type selection.
Hunters can search previous years’ drawing odds by species and hunt area at wgfd.wyo.gov. Hunters who choose not to apply this year may purchase a preference point online from July 1 to Sept. 30.
(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)