- SERVING PEOPLE -
CHEYENNE - Wyoming’s wildlife heritage and scenery were the focus of students’ artwork and writings for the 2012 Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Hunting & Fishing Expo Poster, Poetry, and Essay competition.
Students from third through twelfth grades wrote or drew their vision of Wyoming under the theme, “Forever Wild.” The competition is open to all Wyoming students. All entrants will have their work displayed in the Wildlife and Wild Scenes gallery at the Expo, to be held Sept. 13-15 at the Casper Events Center. Winning students also receive a savings bond and will be recognized at the Expo Awards and Sponsors banquet.
In the poster competition, held for third through sixth graders, the winners are:
• First Place– Damian Lopez, Rawlins Middle School
• Second Place– William Fish, Lusk Elementary School
• Third Place– Baily Shumway, Lincoln Elementary, Rock Springs
The poetry competition featured students in seventh, eighth, and ninth grades. The winners are:
• First Place– Ashleigh Wiginton, CY Middle School, Casper
• Second Place-Rebekah Loberg, Cody Middle School
• Third Place– Chadd Gardner, Little Snake River Valley, Baggs
High school students in grades ten through twelve were eligible for the essay competition. The winners are:
• First Place– Skyler Gabel, Wyoming Virtual Academy, Cody
• Second Place– Brittany Wardell, South High School, Cheyenne
• Third Place– Emily Bruce, South High School, Cheyenne
This year marks the 15th anniversary of the Wyoming Hunting and Fishing Expo. Hosted by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, the Expo is a one-of-a-kind dynamic event that offers over 150 free activities, exhibits, and demonstrations for all ages and skill levels tied to the State Department of Education Content and Performance Standards in numerous academic disciplines. With the focus on youth conservation education, the Expo serves to ensure the future of Wyoming's hunting, fishing, and wildlife viewing culture for generations to come.
(Contact: Margaret James (307) 777-4538)