CHEYENNE - A change in the designation of several fish species from game to nongame in certain waters or drainages is among the proposed fishing regulation changes that will be discussed at public information-gathering meetings across Wyoming in May.
Proposed changes would designate burbot, northern pike, and yellow perch in all waters in the Green River, Little Snake River, Bear River and Great Divide Basin drainages as nongame fish that must be killed immediately if captured. In addition, the proposal would designate walleye in Buffalo Bill Reservoir a nongame fish that must be killed immediately when caught.
Additional proposals include:
• increasing the walleye limit on Alcova Reservoir from six to 12 fish
• changing the regulation on all streams in the East Fork of the Wind River Drainage to require that cutthroat be immediately released
• on all streams in the East Fork of the Wind River Drainage, allowing fishing only with artificial flies or lures.
• lakes within the North and South Platte River drainages, including brook trout in the six-fish limit for trout (previously an additional 16 brook trout could be taken in addition to the six-fish limit for other trout species).
• allowing Flaming Gorge anglers to fillet lake trout when off the water or ice and done fishing for the day
• allowing the use of corn and inedible portions of salmonids, other than eggs, as bait
• adding Boulder Lake, Lake Hattie, and Wheatland Reservoir No. 3 to waters included under the special winter ice fishing provision.
The meetings will be held at the following locations:
|Public Information Gathering Meetings|
|Green River||May 6||Green River Regional Office||7:00 p.m.|
|Casper||May 7||Casper Regional Office||7:00 p.m.|
|Dubois||May 8||Headwaters Arts and Conference Center||6:00 p.m.|
|Jackson||May 8||Teton County Library||6:00 p.m.|
|Pinedale||May 9||Pinedale Regional Office||7:00 p.m.|
|Sheridan||May 13||Sheridan Regional Office||6:00 p.m.|
|Cody||May 13||Bighorn Federal Savings Bank||7:00 p.m.|
|Laramie||May 22||West Laramie Fire Station #3||7:00 p.m.|
Those unable to attend a public meeting may submit comments on fishing regulations by mail to Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Attn: Fishing Regulations, 5400 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne WY 82006 or online at wgfd.wyo.gov. The deadline for comments is June 7.
All comments will be presented to the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission prior to its July 9-10 meeting in Saratoga, where it will make final decisions regarding these regulations. Fishing regulation changes approved by the Game and Fish commission will go into effect for the 2014-2015 regulation period.
Game and Fish supports the Americans with Disabilities Act. Every effort will be made for reasonable accommodations. Anyone needing auxiliary aids should contact the nearest Game and Fish office.
(Contact: Dave Zaft (307) 745-5180, ext. 235)