CHEYENNE - Hunters interested in entering the drawing for moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat licenses are reminded that applications must be received in the Cheyenne office by 5 p.m. Feb. 29.
Online applications are encouraged, but hunters should be aware of the 5 p.m. Mountain Standard Time deadline. After 5p.m. on Feb. 29, the system will not receive moose, sheep, and goat applications. The 5 p.m., Feb. 29 application deadline is the same for both residents and nonresidents and applies to both paper and online applications. The application deadline is usually Feb. 28, but with Leap Year, hunters get an extra day to get their application in.
Drawing odds vary depending on species and hunt area. Preference points have been available for both moose and bighorn sheep for 17 years and 75 percent of the quotas for each species are issued in the preference point drawing. The remaining 25 percent is issued in a random drawing without regard for preference point totals. Preference points are not available for mountain goat licenses, but goat licenses are limited to one in a lifetime.
In addition to being available online, printed application booklets are available at Game and Fish regional offices and license agents or by calling (307) 777-4600.
Hunters who choose not to apply this year can still purchase a preference point either online or through the mail between July 1 - Sept. 30.
(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)